04 Jul The SARAH program for rheumatoid arthritis
If you have rheumatoid arthritis, the SARAH program can help your hand strength and function.
SARAH: Strengthening And Stretching for Rheumatoid Arthritis of the Hand.
SARAH is an evidence based, clinically tested, rheumatoid arthritis management program for individuals struggling with hand and wrist based rheumatoid arthritis.
Why is SARAH important?
- Rheumatoid arthritis is the most common autoimmune disease in Australia. It causes joint pain, stiffness, swelling, and muscle weakness.
- Medication can ease RA symptoms, but patients may still have difficulty with everyday tasks.
- Over time, inactivity leads to muscle wasting and reduced hand function.
- The SARAH programme has clinically shown to improve strength and fine motor coordination of the hands.
Recent comparative studies have shown:
- Patients that completed SARAH in addition to usual RA care reported double the improvement in hand function.
- Exercise improves general muscular endurance and strength without negative effects on pain or disease progression.
- Exercises completed in the SARAH program did not result in any adverse events such as increased pain, stiffness or ‘flare-ups’.
For more information about the SARAH program
The program is conducted under the guidance of a SARAH certified hand therapist as part of your overall management program. To book an appointment please call 03 9458 5166.
Our SARAH certified hand therapists
> Click HERE to find out more about our SARAH rheumatoid arthritis management program
> Click HERE to download a SARAH program information leaflet
If you are experiencing finger, hand or wrist pain, don’t hesitate to get in touch. We’d love to help you.
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
For more information, call us directly on 03 9458 5166