27 Jul eSport injuries
PC. Console. Mobile. Every eSport gamer has their own choice of poison.
With video gaming becoming a multi billion dollar industry, it has become much easier for people to access video games. Long hours are spent on video games and conditions relating to prolong gaming has started to surface. Our hands are the most overused part of the body, that comes not as a surprise that hand injuries occurs much too often in gamers.
So what should you keep a look out for and what can be done if you noticed some aches and pain that is hindering your performance while gaming?
Treatment and management of these injuries are usually simple and effective when detected early.
Here are some common conditions that often occur with prolonged eSport and gaming
De Quvervain’s Tenosynovitis
- The inflammation of the tendon at the thumb
- It is usually painful with wrist and thumb movement, especially with gripping
- You may usually notice a sore at the base of the thumb when doing any stretching or rotational movement while gaming
- → De Quervain’s Tenosynovitis treatment
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- It is caused by a compressed nerve around the wrist
- Most common symptoms are tingling, numbness and weakness into the hands and forearm
- Symptoms are also usually most noticeable at night
- → Carpal Tunnel Syndrome treatment
Repetitive Strain Injury
- An overuse injury which can occur in the wrist, elbow or shoulder
- Symptoms include pain, swelling and stiffness
- → Overuse injury treatment
When should you seek treatment or help with management of pain?
- If you notice the pain is getting worse and unmanageable
- A sharp pain that is consistent and persistent even without gaming
- The pain is keeping or waking you at night
- Constant pins and needles at the forearm or hands
- Weakness or sudden lost of grip strength
At Melbourne Hand Rehab, our hand therapists can provide treatment and management to these conditions and ensure you get back on track with your gaming and prevent further occurrence of these eSport injuries.
We will discuss the best option for your injuries which could include being in a splint or brace for a couple of weeks to ensure the pain is well managed while also providing some exercises to start strengthening the muscles.
Ergonomics is also an important part of the management plan to ensure that you are comfortable during your eSport sessions and re-injury does not occur. The use of wrist rest and factoring in proper rest time after an hour of gaming will also be beneficial to prolong your future gaming sessions.
If you are experiencing finger, hand or wrist pain, don’t hesitate to get in touch. We’d love to help you.
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
For more information, call us directly on 03 9458 5166